Fyvie is situated on the river Ythan which flows through the Aberdeenshire countryside and out to the sea at the Ythan estuary at Newburgh. Fyvie castle is a magnificent building which has five towers each associated with the successive owners of the castle, the Preston, Meldrum, Seton, Gordon and Forbes-Leith families. The village has two small shops, a chemist, post office, hotel, cafe and an interesting church with a Tiffany stained glass window.
Turriff is a thriving community built of red sandstone and the main shopping centre for the surrounding farmlands. The Mercat cross in Castle street was originally erected in 1512 and signified the right to have a market in the town. The cross was replaced by the current sandstone one in 1865. The haughs is a large recreational park with play area. It is home every August to Turriff Show a two day agricultural show. The town has a large range of shops, hotels, cafes and restaurants. It has a small department store, celebrations which sells a range of furniture, gifts and clothes and has a restaurant.
On the Moray coast you will find Banff, Macduff, Portsoy, Cullen and Pennan which featured in the film Local Hero. A drive along the coast from Banff to Fraserburgh will take you past many small bays some with beaches and others with rock pools these are plentyiul at New Aberdour beach. On the East coast the fishing towns of Peterhead and Fraserburgh which featured in the TV series Trawler men. The ports are still busy with a range of fishing boats to be seen most days, look out for seals in Peterhead harbour.
Gight Castle a short drive from the farm there is a pleasant walk through Gight woods to Gight castle. The castle which is now a ruin was built around 1480. Until 1787 it was in the Gordon family. The last Gordon to own the castle was Catherine Gordon, Mother of Lord Byron the poet. Catherine had to sell the castle to Lord Haddo to pay her husband’s gambling debts. From the castle the path leads down to the Ythan from there It is possible to walk to Methlick.
Local distilleries are Glen Garioch in Oldmeldrum - established in 1797, this small distillery takes its name from the Valley of the Garioch, traditionally the finest barley growing area of Scotland. There is a saying that from small beginnings come great things and this could not be truer for Glen Garioch which produces a fine tasting easily drinkable whisky. GlenDronach, the new owners BenRiach have re-opened the distillery and 2009 will see the re-launch of the 12, 15 and 18-year old malts. Situated in the valley of Forgue, by Huntly, The name GlenDronach means valley of the brambles.
Aberdeenshire has three RSPB sites, Troup Head, Loch of Strathbeg and Forvie
The area has a number of golf courses the nearest at Turriff and Oldmeldrum with a 9 hole course at Fyvie.
Other castles in the area include Crathes, Drum and the spectacular Dunnottar castle on the coast near Stonehaven.
Horse riding, lessons and rides, at Upper Keithen which is 5 minutes drive from Stonefolds.
Sports facilities and swimming pool in Turriff
Picture Gallery: Click on an image to view a slideshow.
Gallery - click on images to view slideshow...
Weâ€™ve had a great stay here, loved having the animals just outside the garden and seeing all the nature around us.”